All devices need ongoing updates smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktop computers and websites. Make checking and installing updates a regular part of your online activity. Your personal devices are the weak link. Hackers prey on vulnerabilities. Most of the updates you make will perform fixes on software vulnerabilities. If you do not make these a priority you will be vulnerable. Make installing updates a top priority. To surf the web safely your device software needs to be up to date.
Software you need to keep up to date
- Operating systems, for example Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android.
- Browsers, for example Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome & Safari
- Web plugins, for example Adobe Flash, Reader, Skype, Apple Quicktime, iTunes, Java, ActiveX
- Other types of applications, for example Microsoft Office & Adobe Photoahop.
How to check for updates
- Go to the home screen and tap on the App Store icon.
- Tap the Updates icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap the Update All button at the top of the screen.
- Enter your password and wait for your apps to update.
- Open the Google Play Store app
- Tap Menu Settings
- Tap Auto-update apps
- Select an option:
- Auto update apps at any time to update apps using either Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only to update apps only when connected to Wi-Fi.
- Open Settings
- Scroll down and tap General.
- Tap Software Update. (at the top of the menu)
- Tap Download and Install or Install Now. If a software update is already downloaded, the Install Now button will appear below the update description.
- Enter your passcode when prompted.
APPLE MAC COMPUTERS
- You can manually check for updates: In the Settings app, choose About Tablet or About Device. (On Samsung tablets, look on the General tab in the Settings app.)
- Choose System Updates or Software Update.
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu , then click Software Update to check for updates.
- If any updates are available, click the Update Now button to install them.
- When Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, macOS and all of its apps are also up to date.
- Open Start Menu and select Settings.
- Select Update & Security settings.
- Select Windows Update.
- Select the Check for updates button. If any updates are available, they will be offered to you to click to install.
Keeping your digital devices running on the latest versions of operating systems and apps is one of the easiest ways to stay safe online. Check out other ways to be safe online.